Going through the process of getting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan can be stressful. We’ve done a lot of work to help parent carers and their children go through the application and assessment processes, and have now developed a person-centred planning course with a focus on obtaining an EHC plan for your child.
Who is the course for?
If your child has additional needs or a disability, and you are requesting an EHC assessment or are unsure if you need one, then the Planning for Your Child’s Future course can help.
It is also very useful for parent carers that already have a Special Educational Needs (SEN) statement in place for their child, and need to transfer it to an EHC plan.
More broadly, the course provides support for parent carers who are struggling to help people understand their child, or to get them the help they need at school.
The Planning for Your Child’s Future course is person-centred, which means ensuring that someone with a disability is at the centre of decisions which impact their life. The course aims to provide parent carers with an understanding of:
- Person-centred thinking and approaches
- The importance of resilience, community and family support
- The important of ensuring that a child is at the centre of thinking and planning, and that they should have choice and control over their future
- Aspirational planning, processes, potential services (both specialist and mainstream) and community
- The EHC process, and if and when their child needs an EHC
- The benefits of planning for the future and working towards achieving outcomes, even if their child is not eligible for an EHC
- Personal budgets
- The wealth of opportunities within local communities, leading to cost-effective ways of meeting outcomes
We’ve found that parent carers who have been on the course have been able to navigate the EHC process with a lot more confidence, working with their child to achieve the best possible outcomes.
It also helps parents who are at an earlier point in their journey of caring for a child with additional needs see their children in a different way, seeing the positives and focusing on what they can do, rather than what they struggle with.
Here’s what parent carers have to say about the Planning for Your Child’s Future course:
“The Course was not what I expected. It was fantastic, and left me engaged in terms of how my child is going to be supported at school going forward, with changes to the support he is given. But more importantly, it has helped me learn how to support him in his everyday life, and incorporate his needs within societal boundaries.”
“Beforehand, we didn’t know if the course would be of any use to us, as our son isn’t on a statement but does have a diagnosis. But the tools we learned have helped us to feel a lot more confident as to how to plan for our son’s future.
It also helped to meet other parents. The fact that the instructors were also parents themselves gave them an advantage as to how to pitch the course. All the sessions were useful, and we are now implementing the skills we learned.”
For more information, contact us on 01422 343090, or email email@example.com.