In addition to our training courses, members can make the most of our One2One service providers, who work with families on an individual basis – whether at our offices in Halifax, over the phone, or at your own home.
These services are essential for providing tailored support for parent carers, to guide them and their families through life’s challenges. Find out more about our One2One services below.
We work with a number of Independent Supporters, who are trained to offer extra support while your child goes through the process of getting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan – whether this is a new plan, or a transfer from a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA).
When trying to navigate this assessment process, it can really help to have the support of someone who is independent of the local authority and knows exactly how it works, and can be there to answer questions, attend meetings with you, and help you at every step of the way.
The main focus of an Independent Supporter is to assist parent carers by:
- Explaining the referral process
- Helping to put your child’s story together using a person-centred approach for Section A of the plan
- Liaising between the different agencies involved
- Building resilience through support tailored to your family’s individual needs
- Acting on their behalf, and serving as a named contact throughout the process
- Signposting you to Information Advice and Support Services (IASS) when the issues are outside the remit of an Independent Supporter
If you would like to find out more about Independent Supporters, please contact Helen Norris at Unique Ways on 01422 343090 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact the Information, Advice and Support Service directly on 01422 266141.
If we’re unable to provide you with the information or support you need, we’re likely to know somebody that does – and we’ll be able to point you in their direction. We have excellent links throughout Calderdale with a range of voluntary and private sector organisations – if we can’t help you ourselves, we’ll do our best to help you find someone who can. Find out more about our information and signposting services.